Be strong minded, open-minded, flexible, and outspoken.
1. You are placed where you're needed, not where you want to be. Be prepared to be flexible in the fact that you do not choose which school you want to do your residency or full-time teaching.
2. BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET. The pay is not livable and you have to file your own taxes on it so you will need a side job (even though they tell you not to and there's barely any time for it). Don't be afraid to apply for assistance. I suggest having money already saved up.
3. Speak up about your issues and document them. When there's a concern, CC multiple people on emails and keep record in the event that you have to address your concern with higher authority.
4. ASK QUESTIONS, write down the answer and who said it because there's a lot of "he said, she said".
5. Stay connected with your cohort to make time for self-care